Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day Zero

Tomorrow will be exactly 3 months since I landed back in the UK from Nigeria. At the time I had a brace of interviews and was confident that I'd be squeezing into the tube every morning with the best of them before you could say 'recruitment consultant'. On the bright side, I've been extremely lucky to be doing some enjoyable, yet challenging part-time work with a printer in central London.

Despite my optimism at what I thought were a couple of good interviews, and nine carefully honed job applications to online advertisments which just seemed to be calling my name, I've had either no replies (grrrr) or 'Dear Johns' usually followed by something to do with 'more suitable qualifications'.

At the same time, I have been casting the 'skin' network as widely as possible... attending events at my livery company - Stationers, meeting with old friends and colleagues (and that's nothing to do with the offer of a free lunch, but thanks to all those very much) and attempting to comment on relevant magazine websites.. (I say 'attempt': PrintWeek - please sort it out!).

I've also decided to put my CV online, and I think it's not bad (www.cicelybrown.co.uk) however despite having welcomed over 200 visitors into its hallowed virtals (virtual portal - I kinda like the sound of that), none has felt compelled to comment, contact me or... ask me for an interview.

So what next? Cue "7 Secrets to Getting Your Next Job Using Social Media".

I'll let you know how I get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment